Welcome to the Virophysics group
Welcome to the Virophysics group in the Department of Physics at Ryerson University.
Research in the virophysics group focuses on applying computational and mathematical modelling techniques commonly used in Physics to solving important problems in Virology, Immunology, and beyond. The Virophysics group is not an experimental group. The data used in our research is gathered elsewhere and obtained through our collaborators or through the literature.
The actual models, which range from simple ordinary differential equation systems to elaborate agent-based computer models, are typically implemented in C, python, or Octave. Members of the Virophysics group have/acquire good mathematical and programming skills, and a rigorous and in-depth understanding of the systems they are modelling.
If you are interested in joining the Virophysics group, check out the positions currently available within the group.
If you would like to know what the Virophysics group has been up to these days, check out our research page, our publications, and the media blurbs below.
Media blurbs about the group's members and research
- As lead author on our paper on modelling the spatial spread of flu within the human respiratory tract, Quirouette was featured as part of Ryerson's Faculty of Science's Paper of the Month, June 2020.
- Nerd Nite Tokyo talk titled "What is a Virophysicist and What Do They Do During a Pandemic?", 22 May 2020
- Beauchemin comments on "The federal government is lagging behind some provinces and countries in terms of releasing COVID-19 best and worst case scenario modelling" for 630 CHED Afternoons, Global News, Edmonton, Apr 2020
- Beauchemin comments on Coronavirus: How asymptomatic carriers spread a disease like COVID-19 in Inverse, Mar 2020
- Ryerson Faculty of Science Research Story, Dec 2018 and again in Ryerson Today, Jan 2019
- Nerd Nite Tokyo talk titled "Lack of Math: Side Effects Include Dizziness and Distrust", May 2018
- Ryerson video profile of Beauchemin for the College of the Royal Society of Canada, 2017
- Beauchemin inducted into the College of the Royal Society of Canada, 2017 (news on
- Ryerson Faculty of Science 5th Anniversary book, 2017
- Podcast of the Keystone Symposium on "Modeling Viral Infections and Immunity", 2017
- Ryerson Faculty of Science Annual Report 2015 (p.35)
- Ryerson Research & Innovation Newsletter, Issue 28, 2015
- Ryerson Faculty of Science video profile, 2014
- Ryerson Faculty of Science Annual Report 2014 (p.17)
- Ryerson Faculty of Science News, 2014
- Ryerson General News, 2014
- Ryerson Faculty of Science Annual Report 2013 (p.41)
- Ryerson Faculty of Science Research Story, 2012
- Ryerson Research News, 2010
- Ryerson Research News, 2009
Last modified: August 20, 2020, 16:39.